Tuesday 8 October 2013

GASTRONOMICAL EXTRAVAGANZA 30 000 FEET IN THE AIR

I found myself being prodded in the small of my back the whole way down the aisle of the SAA Boeing 737, by a very eager lady who was obviously very keen to get to her seat - which just happened to be the one right next to mine!

Much grunting and groaning later she managed to install herself and her numerous bags into the middle seat with husband in tow.

Take off was uneventful and I had just settled in when the dinner service commenced. My travel companions proceeded to tuck in with much gusto and delight - amid much slurping and enjoyment  she leaned down and extracted a bag of goodies from the bag beneath her seat.  Her husband literally squealed with anticipation and could not wait to get his hands on the bag of "yuyu" - the best I could make out they looked like steamed chicken legs on the bone with skin still on........by this time I was literally sitting with my mouth wide open watching the feasting of the masses.  I discreetly tried to see what they were enjoying with their standard airplane fare but to no avail - take a yuyu, chew, suck and spit out the little pieces......

Just when I thought it was safe to avert my eyes, out popped a thermos flask and much to my dismay hot milky coffee sprayed all over the seats and my lap.  Unfazed my neighbors licked up the spill and proceeded to pour and enjoy their coffee.

By now I had made peace with the fact that there was no way out of this - being stuck in the corner 30 000 feet in the air!!!!!!

My travel companions' enthusiastic approach to their meal was being echoed across the aircraft - little goodie bags were being unpacked and fruit, nuts and tea were being selected ........all accompanied by the delightful chatter that accompanies oriental tourists the world over.  I have always been reminded of birds when caught in a crowd of camera toting tourists -  exotic, incessant chatter and voracious appetites.

Copious amounts of nuts and fruits were consumed on the flight and I am certain that a good time was had by all and sundry - the satisfied smiles and grunts of pleasure were a dead give away, and if that does not convince you then the nose blowing, throat clearing, hawking, removal of shoes and general settling in for the night definitely will .......  make yourself right at home why don't you?



No comments:

Post a Comment